Anouk Govil – Stay Fit and Healthy with Outdoor Swimming
Most people are not too fond of exercising because they become sweaty throughout the activity. Moreover, many believe there is a risk of sustaining severe injuries that they want to avoid. However, they fail to understand that being inactive only reduces their energy levels. It is one of the reasons why they always feel lethargic even while doing their daily chores. Many health and fitness experts suggest they should take up outdoor swimming for a change. It is an ideal low-intensity workout that can keep them active and in shape. Moreover, swimming is an essential life-skill which they should know in the event of any emergency.
Anouk Govil – Why should people take up outdoor swimming?
Anouk Govil is a research assistant from New York City with many years of valuable experience. She is a biomedical and environmental graduate of the prestigious University of Connecticut. However, her real interests lie in Economics and International Finance. The way money influences the working of a country’s economy, and people’s lives fascinate her. She currently holds the post of Research Assistant in Economic and International Finance at the University of Connecticut. In her spare time, she loves to workout outdoors.
She says outdoor swimming is an exercise that people can take up regardless of their age. They need to find the time to take a plunge in a clear pond, lake, or the beach. Unlike jogging, jump rope, or brisk walking, swimming less is strenuous on their joints. This is because water tends to neutralize the earth’s gravitation force’s effect, allowing them to move more freely. It makes outdoor swimming an ideal aerobic workout for those suffering from health issues like osteoarthritis. The other health benefits people enjoy by swimming outdoors compared to other forms of exercise are as follows:
- Outdoor swimming in cold water helps people to strengthen and tone the muscles in their body,
- People burn lots of calories when swimming outdoors in cold water. This helps to convert body fat into energy via metabolism,
- People who swim outdoors regularly have a stronger immune system because cold water boosts white blood cell production,
- Swimming helps people to sleep better because the cold water stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system in their bodies,
- People who take a swim outdoors for at least 30 minutes are less prone to chronic diseases like cancer, and
- Swimming outdoors boosts the production of endorphins in people’s bodies, which they feel happier.
Anouk Govil sums up by saying that outdoor swimming is an ideal exercise for people who are not fond of jogging or brisk walking or who prefer more high-intensity cardio. This low-intensity aerobic workout enables them to strengthen and tone all the muscles in their body. They can even increase their metabolism and burn a lot of calories from converting body fat into energy. Swimming outdoors in cold water enhances their immune system through the increase in white blood cell production in the body. They become less vulnerable to various chronic diseases such as cancer or type 2 diabetes. Moreover, swimming boosts the production of endorphins in the body to make them feel happier and fitter.